Monday, November 30, 2009
Tis the Season
The last post was more of a rerun of facebook thanksgivings that led up to the Thanksgiving Holiday. I recently read that studies have shown that love - related qualities - like gratitude - actually make us physically healthier. Here are five discoveries: 1. just 15 minutes a day focusing on the things you're grateful for will significantly increase your body's natural antibodies. 2. Naturally grateful people are more focused mentally and measurably less vulnerable to clinical depression. 3. A grateful state of mind induces a physiological state called resonance that's associated with healthier blood pressure and heart rate. 4. Caring for others is draining. But grateful caregivers are healthier and more capable than less grateful ones. 5. Recipients of donated organs who have the most grateful attitudes heal faster. It is so easy to experience Holiday Overload; feeling the weight of holiday-centered expectations, obligations, family tensions can dampen the genuine joy of the season and being intentionally grateful is one way to cope a day at a time. Other ways would be to prioritize, pare down, let go of perfection, ask for help, stay flexible, create new traditions and get input. Once again I recognize that for me I absolutely must have quiet, relaxing, down time in order to reflect on what I am doing, what I am suppose to be doing, am I in line with God's best for me and others. Lately, life often feels like a wrestling match that does not seem to have an end. Continually struggling not to have both shoulders pinned down to the ground. My heart's desire really is to live with God, not just for Him. He wants and knows what is best for me yet He does not necessarily reveal it to me. Jeremiah 33:2-3 The Lord, the Maker of the heavens and earth - the Lord is His name - says this: Ask me and I will tell you some remarkable secrets about what is going to happen here. May the Lord tell you remarkable secrets this season of joy!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment