Saturday, January 30, 2010

Happy New Year

Is it too late for Happy New Year greetings? It seems like I'm always saying "snap the month is over" and yet here we are again. Okay, January, I heard about two websites that pose 2010 challenges and a quote that resonates with me.

Instead of New Year's resolutions www.myoneword.org offers the un-resolution because resolutions seldom work. It's great to want to be a better you - and the New Year is a natural time to start. My One word replaces broken promises with a vision for real change. When you choose a single word, you have a single focus. You are moving toward the future rather than swearing off the past.

So what is my word for 2010? Peace is my word. Peaceful is being free from commotion or other disturbance, serene, still, quiet, tranquil, harmony, silence, stillness, contentment. One of the stores I visit when traveling through Chicago Midway airport is the Life Is Good store where I am always drawn to clothing "speaking" of peace. I want to focus on peace in 2010. Just as Jesus said in John 14:27: Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. I would like to display a calm, peaceful disposition, be content with each day that God gives me and be an encouragement to others. I want to remember to "be still and know that God is God" (Psalm 46:10a)

The quote is "You are the same today as you will be in five years, except for two things: the people you meet and the books you read." Philippians 4:8: whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things. All that we ingest by our senses pours out of us. We forget there is an impact internally and externally.

www.29gifts.org is a global giving movement with a mission to revive the giving spirit in the world. Change lives - change the world - one gift at a time. Crystal is taking on this challenge for the month of February and in the spirit of multiplication or paying it forward I am considering the challenge too.

May the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:7)