Sunday, April 15, 2012

Milestones

I am now 50 years old and in June my daughter will celebrate 30. The number itself is not an issue for me because I don't feel old, although I am a great aunt now to 3 baby girls. For the past several months I pestered Eddie about my birthday and he would simply smile all the while he was planning a surprise, Crystal came for the Easter weekend! It was such an unexpected surprise because she was sick with cold, fever before she came, that I thought who would travel when they should be getting rest. When she walked in from the sunroom after church Friday night I was in shock and disbelief, like it was a dream. I do admit there was a void because Jeremiah was not able to join her for the whirlwind visit since he was leading worship at their church for Easter. It also touched me that my brother and his family were excited to be part of the surprise. I am still savoring the visit from last weekend as I sit here in my sunroom remembering. It is bittersweet...thinking how she was just in this rocking chair, reading, listening to the bird sounds, the wind blowing through the windows snuggled up in a blanket with a box of tissues (yes she was still sick). Eddie's home made chicken noodle soup and the chance to tuck her back in bed was definitely rewind moments. Having these moments, as a gift of love from my beloved husband who clearly listened to my longing, will ripple through my heart and mind for more years to come. During her visit I thought about legacies, wondering what I have given her...I hope some part includes enduring whatever life throws at you, keep learning all you can, be thankful, never give up, keep growing in the Lord, be watchful for what God is doing and join Him as He lights the way. It is amazing what can happen when we nurture our faith. As I have mentioned before, I often get sad and I was feeling sad since saying goodbye at the airport Sunday. A good rule when you start to feel down just take the time to do something "up" to lift your mood and it will help you feel better about life in general. I realize when I am living life stressed and pressured often it's because I forgot to be still and know Who is with me (Psalm 46:10a, that there can be joy in the journey. May your day be filled with thanksgiving and joy.

2 comments:

Crystal E. said...

So glad I was able to spend some time at "home" with you and Dad. It was nice to be taken care of. :) And I so enjoyed seeing the look on your face when I popped out of the sunroom. I want you to know that you have left a very positive legacy with me. You have always believed in me and encouraged me to follow my dreams/my heart. You have inspired me by your courage and perseverance. And every time I read a book I think of you! I love you, Mom! -Crystal

Anonymous said...

What a happy memory you all have created for one another! "See what love they have for each other!" Thanks for sharing your joy filled holiday weekend!
sds