Mother’s Day 2012 Tribute as read and delivered to my mom, Jackie Vander Wagen:
I have always known that you were proud of me; you have demonstrated it my whole life; from cheering at grade school awards ceremonies to attending beauty pageant contests. You are a champion for your children.
Mom, you have been an example of blending traditional family values with the flexibility of working outside the traditional home so you could offer more to your children than you had growing up. Traditional values of family dinners expanded by the skills of household management.
You have taught me to be courageous in standing for family with steadfast loyalty. Being intentional in spending time with family; visits, dinners, and trips to Stevens Point or San Diego. Doing what is right, even if it was to your own discomfort, pain or loses; focusing on others instead of yourself. I think of challenging life situations with your parents divorce, Grandma Charlotte’s journey through cancer, Grandpa Bill’s emphysema, Grandma Rena’s Alzheimer’s, Grandpa Zeb’s cancer, Uncle Billy with Aunt Sharon and Uncle Bobby with Aunt Delores.
You built extended family with neighbors (Mayfield, Chula Vista, Hamilton, and Orchard) and co-workers (with every one of your jobs) before there were such terms as building community. Your generous nature and thoughtful spirit pours out with a literally unlocked, open door to relatives, neighbors and friends. Pool parties, picnics, flea market outings, drive-in movies, and camping were a few of our group activities. When there were and are needs within family or community your compassion spills out to fill in any gaps; once again doing what is right.
Growing up it was important to “respect your elders” and to this day I still refer to my mother-in-law of over 30 years as Mrs. Pettit. You and Mrs. Pettit are an example of a long term relationship built from hospitality with neighbors. Just think about how special your friendship is because if you were not living out community I would not have met the love of my life and you would have missed out on your fourth son. (yeah, right?)
There are a plethora of memories and here are a few ...Wiegman casserole, sugar sandwiches, birthday parties, baking, bowling (family leagues), motorcycles, liver sausage & onions, soap operas with characters breaking out in song, station wagons with the way back, road trips counting cows, family game nights with black cow ice cream treats, roller skating, barbies, swimming, Godzilla and Mothra, reel to reel family movies, stock car races, fireworks, tonsillitis & flu (cold rags on my forehead & holding my head over a garbage can or toilet), first bell bottoms, Fall school clothes & supplies shopping, Christmas shopping (just the 2 of us), grocery shopping (because you needed a driver), movies, laughing, crying and even going to church together. Oh, I cannot forget singing, dancing, 8 track tapes and alblums which was your standard pronunciation. To this day, my heart is lifted when I am singing, dancing and it does not matter that I am not gifted in these areas because it still brings me great joy. One particular memory I have is simply your presence with hugs and tender care after my car accident when I was 16 years old. No words were necessary; just you at the very moment I cried out in need for you, my mom.
Mom, there is great depth to you and great wisdom from the life you have experienced. You try to cover your tenderness with a tough exterior, keeping others away from your personal space. It is touching when you reveal glimpses of the warmth that glows within you.
I recognize characteristics in me that I treasure from you. Parents pass the things onto their children that are important, whether they know it, realize it or not by what they say, what they don’t say, what they pursue, what they don’t pursue, what they value and what they don’t value. Because of you, family is my priority, I am faithful in relationships, have a strong work ethic, and take seriously my responsibilities. Planning is a quality necessary in making family a priority and I treasure that trait from you. Reading is a hobby that you modeled with novels and medical resource books (because you are Dr. Mom) to today with various magazines and reading is now one of my passions with all the bookshelves to prove this. Another trait I adopted from you is protecting time for me so I can refuel in order to fill others. We all know not to mess with your “down time”.
When you became a grandma, you encouraged me as I grew into my new role as mom. While learning to balance work and home life I took comfort knowing you were watching over, caring and bonding with your first grandchild, our precious gem, Crystal.
Mom, you have made a lasting impact by investing in my life. You are part of the legacy I have passed onto Crystal and I am forever grateful. I honor you and I pray we will have eternity together someday.
Writing with a thankful heart and an overwhelming love, Laura Lee
Leviticus 19:3 every one of you shall reverence his mother and his father
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment