Sunday, June 17, 2012

Father's day Tribute

Fathers Day 2012 Tribute as read and delivered to my dad, Bob Vander Wagen Sr:

Everyone knows that I am a daddy’s girl and you would do anything for me. Is it because I am your only daughter or simply because you love with your whole heart? I do know that I am beautiful to you and you are my first hero.




It touches my heart when I witness your expressions of love to mom; taking her hand, the look on her face, what a gentlemen you are with your hand on her arm or shoulder, holding doors and even your silliness. You demonstrate your care and protection in so many ways. When mom is afraid you are the one she seeks. She can count on you…your strength, dependability and faithfulness. When you are needed, you are there.



You stepped up to provide and support mom with her parents. Giving her strength for each step in the journey, however it unfolded. You and mom are unified in reaching out and helping others by filling in gaps. You display both strength and tenderness.



As a provider, you have a serious work ethic and you focus on excellence as part of job completion. No matter how tough the project, you persevere. No matter how difficult, you strive to accomplish the task. You have carried this from your trade in mechanics through to your retirement hobbies and volunteerism. You never give up. This is respectable and appreciated by everyone who encounters your tenacity.



Did I say you were silly? You certainly are and you wear that well as a grandpa. You are “all in” as a grandpa.  You are “all in” as a “gamer” too. Whether it’s a board game, cards, softball or yard games your consistency is steadfast. Competitive spirits are typical for men although yours is like thunder because you don’t know when to expect it since it is steady and persistent.



Your heart became even tenderer when you stepped back onto the path of Christ. It was as if your heart grew larger like the Grinch when he realized the true meaning of Christmas. Interpersonal relationships became of greater value to you as you serve the Lord and grow in greater intimacy in your relationship with Him. You are an example of a disciple because of your teachable heart, a student of His Word. As surely as the truth of Christ is in you, you will never stop boasting about this (2 Corinthians 11:10). You are proud to be His child.



It is not as easy for men to have true friendships as women although I recall a few of the meaningful friendships you enjoyed. From your generous nature, your friendship loyalty was even greater. Your friendship with Uncle Billy came before your marriage to mom and he was how you met the love of your life. I believe that our back yard neighbor Joe was one of your best friends and, once again, you and mom walked in grief together through the pain of that loss.



Although I didn’t realize it, these were qualities in a man that my heart longed for and found in Eddie. It has been said that a daddy’s girl seeks a husband like her dad. It is a delight to my heart the way you bonded with Eddie; like a son and it is special. Heroes, both of you.



I am proud that you are my dad; I love you, Laura Lee





Leviticus 19:3 every one of you shall reverence his mother and his father

No comments: