Wednesday, September 25, 2013

What's next?

Since my last post I was training for the September 8th Chicago Half Marathon. I never imagined myself as athletic and even though I have participated in over ten 5k races since November 2008 I would not say I was a runner either. I am sure you have heard of the runner's high, right? Well I can say I have NOT experienced that yet. People who really enjoy running and get that high are in a club all their own. As I think about the last 22+ weeks I am almost disappointed that I didn't get into that club. After investing the time and energy I still cannot even say I like running and I really hoped I would by the time of race day.

There were actually several reasons I made the commitment: 1) I joined Team World Vision, 2) I believe in the cause of raising money for clean water for Kenya, 3) to challenge myself out of my comfort zone - something beyond my own capabilities - the only way I would accomplish would be by God's strength.  I do well with accountability and structure so joining a team met both of these needs.  Growing up, I was never part of a sports team so deep down I looked forward to that type of camaraderie and coaching. Now that the goal has been reached, I am evaluating the whole experience, wondering what I learned. One of my personal goals is to learn at least one thing with each new engagement.

In random order this is what happened -
  • By the strength of God and three team mates I finished the 13.1 mile race
  • Overwhelming amounts of encouragement poured over me especially notes from Eddie when I was traveling and a special floral delivery from Crystal with a sweet note
  • Raised $2,063 (mostly Eddie, thank you) which equals a lifetime of clean water for 41 people (thank you Crystal for the face book post to your friends)
  • My left knee is weaker than my right and my right foot is bigger than my left
  • I strained my groin a week and a half before race day
  • Waking up early every Saturday morning to run in the park is amazing; waking up with nature and encountering all the elements of spring and summer
  • I now like peanut butter, I gained weight and I continue to struggle with emotional eating
  • real running shoes are worth the financial investment
  • Frozen peas and beans work well to ease knee pain
  • Ice baths help muscles recover quicker
  • I am goal oriented and have addictive behavior tendencies
  • Running is both a physical and mental challenge
  • Fund raising and running long distances are beyond my own capabilities
  • I am super hard on myself and have high expectations for myself
  • Morning coffee in our back yard patio is a beautiful way of connecting to our Creator especially after running through His creation
  • I put my hope in the Lord, He gave me strength and great courage.  (Psalm 31:24)
  • God knew it all before the experience even happened!
Looking back gives me a different perspective. 

Now what?
Be pleased with the race performance even though I did not do as well as I hoped.
Seize this time for rest, healing and processing.
Recognize the transition cost energy and made an emotional, physical and spiritual impact.
Transitions are change and change is a chance to rely on God who is unchanging.
Where is He inviting me to go / change / go next?

What is your transition?

No comments: