Often during the Christmas season, listening to the radio announcers talking about Christmas, going to various church services, reading about Christmas and listening to Christmas music I find myself thinking about Mary as the mother of Jesus. A verse that has made an impact on me is Luke 2:19 "Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart". As a mom I ponder and still treasure everything about my child. I wonder what Mary's thoughts were from the moment the angel Gabriel greeted her as told in Luke 1:29-38 resulting in her song in 1:46-55 with her spirit rejoicing in God her Savior.
I long for my soul to sing like Mary. I fear that I am missing the little things because I don't open my eyes, I don't stop, I don't reflect. I get so focused on taking care of "business" like Martha I totally miss out on the Mary (both Marys) moments that God puts right in front of me. I long for more heart and less task. When I do get heart moments it is replenishing so I am equipped and prompted to share with others. One way of encouraging others is writing; notes, emails and these posts. What I write is evidence of my heart and this year it has been erratic.
God allows certain situations to get our attention. Circumstances such as chronic illness or injury in yourself or family members. This year I experienced injuries (again), so did Eddie with shoulder surgery and my mom has been undergoing health issues. I have grown a greater respect for those living with chronic pain and illness especially for the caretakers. Our Father God does stretch us to strengthen us in His power. He reminds us we truly cannot do "this life" on our own. Anyone who believes they can are missing out on His great gift of grace and unconditional, abounding love.
Life can change quickly. The results of change can linger. What we want may not really be what we need. I want to keep growing into the person God has envisioned for me. We are made to learn through story. Life is story unfolding.
The story of Christmas is what Mary "pondered in her heart". I well up with emotion just trying to imagine the depth of God's love for me. Jesus was born, He never sinned, it is about the cross, the sacrifice, the tomb that could not hold Him, He conquered death....The story is about God directly intervening into time and space to give us His Son. The significance of His gift to the world cannot truly be comprehended. How much do I really appreciate this Christmas gift? Do you?
19th century poet Christina Rossetti captures the spirit of love at Christmas:
Love came down at Christmas
Love all lovely, Love divine
Love was born at Christmas
Star and angels gave the sign
There's a song from Toby Mac Christmas CD with these lyrics:
Love was born and she (Mary) held a gift God made
Born for redemption's sake
Earth was void til He came
Love was born, love was born a King
Now we all sing Love Love Love.....
it's a true way, in His love
doesn't matter where you come from
Let's come together as one and celebrate
Love is who God is and love is what God does. Love is why we have Christmas. God's love is the reason and Jesus is the result.
We celebrate God's love for us and respond to Him in joy. He gives us joy because that gives Him joy. Zephaniah 3:17 He rejoices in us with great gladness.
This Christmas may you ponder the story, think about the depth of this Love, treasure and accept The Gift.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Laura, THANK YOU! I miss seeing the face behind the words. Do you think 2014 is our year?
Beautiful, Laura (and beautiful Laura!). I miss the face behind the lovely words. Maybe this is our year???? Will be finally see each other?
Thank you Laura for reminding us of the depth of God's agape love for His children and our true need for Emmanuel. I pray that God continues to provide you with wisdom and the words that will paint the picture He has for you to share.
Thank you Marta & Peaches for your encouragement.
Post a Comment