Wednesday, September 19, 2012

The Art of Simplicity

Eddie and I are continually inspired by Crystal and Jeremiah's attitude of simplicity; keeping a loose grip on "stuff", being flexible, able to help others in need. This has spurred us into regularly purging and letting go of "stuff".

During a recent purging session I found an article from 2005 titled "New Habits for High Tech Hearts" which pointed out how we, as peoples, are so accessible with cell phones, email and pagers (yes it was 2005). It's interesting to me that this was already recognized as an issue in 2005 and now we have more technology, some might say extreme with texting and social networking sites where we can have a plethora of "friends". Truly these devices are not the core problem; it is how we use them. The names are also telling, IPhone, Ipad, Ipod, all about I.  Self focused.

Do they bring good or distraction to our lives? Are we living a boundary-less existence? Are our human relationships now interrupted, disembodied conversations or hurried email/text messages? Do we even realize what we are losing? What is behind our easy surrender to availability addiction. Instant messages or chats are like having someone coming to sit on your desk; ready or not. Consider that staying connected to what's going on "out there" keeps us disconnected from what's going on right in front of us and in our soul. Like most addictions it is a way to avoid acknowledging and facing painful areas in our life.

I have not posted since July and October is less than two weeks away. The drought of the summer coincides with the drought of my heart. I have been in the desert spiritually. The cycle is familiar for as long as I have been working outside my home. As organizations become leaner, building in protocols that are suppose to provide greater efficiencies and expecting more employee time investments.

Our gadgets make it possible to work from almost anywhere with accessibility 24/7. Yet there is a human need to be refreshed. It is challenging to find time for solitude and silence. Personally, I need extended times to slow down body, mind and soul.  It is absolutely critical that I remain intentional, remember God priorities and balance. Just the other day I was reminded how I have been an example to another woman on saying no without feeling guilty. Being intentional with quiet, uninterrupted time so I can listen and hear God's voice. Being intentional with family and friends, sharing life that cannot be experienced electronically. The physical presence, depth of communication, looking into other's eyes, hearing the tone of their voice, observing their body language and having opportunity to express physical affection.

When I follow God's lead (Genesis 2:4), recognizing my need for rest and set aside time to stop and catch my breath, leaving behind responsibilities, I often experience a fresh encounter with Him. He gives me grace and peace that counters my exhaustion from everyday living.

I started off this post talking about simplifying - Don't do more than you can do without leaving a margin for rest and balance. The margin is the place where God remains. He is faithful, dependable, unchanging. "Be still and know that He is God" (Psalm 46:10)

No comments: